Today as I was in the kitchen making my daughters after school snack I heard sirens in the distance. Then they got closer and closer, and as usual I prayed that they weren't coming for any of my love ones. My 14 year old was at football practice, my youngest was outside riding his bike ...I held my breath until they sirens were out of ear shot. Then I went about my business, never really giving that a second thought.
A few hours later I found out that those sirens were for a coach at my sons high school. Not a man that I ever met, not a man that coached my son, but a man in our community had passed away. I was very saddened by this news. I know people die..everyday. Sirens come for people everyday. Those people are someone's "somebody", they mean something to a lot of people. Yet, most of us ignore the sound of sirens, thinkng they are not for us so why pay attention? Truth is , we are all affected when something like this happens. Children that the man coached were affected, his family, his colleagues, and I, who did not know the man, feel sorrow that a life was taken much too quickly from this Earth.
Sirens are not just an annoying noise in the background of our lives, they are usually a precursor to a life changing event in someone's life and the lives of all the people they know...I will be thinking about THAT the next time I hear one outside of my window.
Well said Krista-- I am always thinking about how that someone is somebodys something. Coach Bounnell was a very nice man and his dedication to coaching and teaching (a passionate Science teacher) the children in our community will be greatly missed. God bless his family.
ReplyDelete