I do not shop on Black Friday. I find the whole experience annoying, useless, and premature. I do not need to get up at some unGodly time or never even go to bed, for that matter and shop for items because they are "on sale". Now, don't get me wrong, I love a sale and I'm a shopper..but I must be well rested, latte in hand and not pushing through throngs of crazy ass people who only shop once a year!!! And forgo sleep to do it.
The day after Thanksgiving shouldn't be the FOCUS of Thanksgiving. It should be Friday, a day off to enjoy with our families , watch football, eat leftovers and just BE. Or , in my case it is my daughter's birthday so we will be celebrating that (with 23 of her closest cheerleader friends in a hotel but I digress...). I didn't grow up in a household focused on Black friday shopping. I'm not even sure it was in existence back when I was a child. Christmas shopping was to be done at Christmastime, and back in the day,(good Lord I just said "back in the day") that was in December. It was something to look forward to, it was special, it wasn't ...umm...a season that started on Nov.1st. I know that some of you reading this are like "what a scrooge/Grinch/ bitch..whatever " but that's not true. I like Christmas, I like trees, I like egg nog ,I LOVE presents..I just don't love talking about them, looking at them , and shopping for them 45 days ahead of time. In fact, I do not accept my children's Christmas lists until after the Turkey is all gone! Oh, they write them well in advance of that, and they pass them on to Grandpa way before the turkey has reached puberty but they know better than to give them to me.
So, on Friday morning/ or shortly after midnight, while a good portion of the country will be lining up for discounted Ipads , flat screens and the hotttest toys ,I will be digesting my Thanksgiving meal and preparing for my busy cheer competition weekend. And the only black I will be experiencing between 12 and 7 will be the back of my eyelids.
No comments:
Post a Comment