Monday, December 19, 2011

UN-Domestic Goddess

                         My daughter , just  yesterday, said something that irritated me. Wow , big surpise ,right? Well, she said I wasn't "crafty". She told her teacher I would never make homemade Christmas cards or homemade anything because i'm not "crafty". Apparantly , many parents of her classmates are crafty. they make their cards, their wrapping paper, their teacher gifts. I have fallen very, very short of this . I have never been one to sit down and try to make something, if there is the same exact thing out there available for purchase. Why bother doing something that I can buy and looks 100% better than anything I would come up with?
                        I come from crafty people. My mother knitted, she made all sorts of baked goods, loved to decorate. If she had lived long enough, I guarantee she'd be hooked on all those DIY shows on HGTV.  Me, I prefer watching Dr. Phil while I wrap the store bought presents. My sister in laws, all crafty as well. they can their own preserves(I have no idea how one even goes about this process, i leave that to Mr. Smucker's), they make things with their sewing machines, things people would actually wear and use. If I owned a sewing machine, it would be like everyone else's treadmill..dusty. I have never made a Halloween costume, and my kids never ask. I'm sure they realize they'd be wearing some sort of construction paper concotion, so they just try their luck with Target at Halloween.
                       So, yesterday, affter my daughter said I wasn't crafty, I felt sort of like a loser. I mean, I am a stay at home mom, shouldn't I be a tiny bit Martha Stewart-like? This may have to be something I work on in the new year. I should be making a better domestic impression on my daughter. I should give her an example to follow. I should can something, sew something, bake something that doesn't come off a preformed roll. But then again, my mom did all those things and look at me. Maybe it skips a generation?? If so then she will be "crafty" but I doubt it... she likes shopping and Dr.Phil too much. See I am leaving an impression:)

No comments:

Post a Comment