When people first meet me , they assume two things: she is shallow, and she can't be that smart. I am not making this up, it happens to me on a weekly basis. Like last night, I had to work concesion at my son's high school baseball game, and a lady in charge literally spoke to me slowly and in the manner in which you address a 5 year old. A mentally challenged 5 year old. Immediately I do one of two things: reply with sarcasm or be a bitch for the duration of the relationship. I do not like to do either of those things, I actually like to be nice, helpful and friendly. It's just that some people never give me that option. The one's that do, well, they are my friends. For a long time. I will pretty much do anything to help them out and I will always be there for them.
You see, I stopped making assumptions about people a long, long time ago. Being in health care makes you open your eyes to situations that you may never otherwise have to see. I was a home health nurse for quite a few years before I left the working world to raise my children.I would walk into homes that were run down, smelly , needed a good cleaning lady. At first glance , you'd judge the people. They are dirty and they are poor. Here's what 99% of them really were: sick and trying to make it day to day. They used to clean their house, fix the broken things but surviving and paying for their treatments trumped their homes smelling like Clorox. I saw it over and over, so making assumptions about people is no longer something I care to do.
I also use to assume I would always be young, healthy, full of energy. 40 year olds were , well, old. They had gray hairs, they got fat around the middle, they watched HGTV. Ok, well that assumption was almost right on, thank God for hair dye and personal trainers...Point is, things aren't what we see on the outside .We need to dig a little deeper, maybe assume a person might just be too sick to clean their once stately home, or that a person might just know how to stock soda bottles in a concession stand despite the fact she is blonde...
No comments:
Post a Comment