In 5 days I will be 41. Last year at this time I was excited about an upcoming party, spending time with friends, and celebrating a milestone birthday. This year, well, I'm just "in my forties".I have had almost 365 days of getting used to this new number prefixing my age. I still don't like it.I think that is because it reminds me that time is marching on and I'm marching right along with it.My kids are getting older, self sufficient, needing a hands on mom less and less. But they do need a more emotionally involved, sounding board, loving mom more and more. Which, surprisingly is more exhausting than the hands on stuff.
I never thought I'd see the day my kids could all sit at a dining table, spill nothing, use napkins,not choke to death on things but that day is here. good thing too, because at my ever increasing age i am the one doing most of the aforementioned things(lol-sort of..). But now,I have to be sure I stay involved in the other aspects of their life or things can get , lets just say, away from me. Recently, I have been dealing with some issues with my high schooler.It's been exhausting, nerve wracking and requiring a lot of conversations and even tears. But i am here. And i always will be, no matter what it is they do, good or bad. My children became my priority from the day they were born, and they still are. As I get older I realize the importance of just being a good person, being there for people,and letting yourself be okay with who you are becoming as the decade marches on.
Sure, I could choose to obsess over the new lines surrounding my mouth, or my new gray hairs that pop up(mostly thanks to the teenager..), my belly that is stubborn to respond to the many hours of ab work I do at workouts. But , at 41 I am going to choose to focus on being a good person, living a life that is fulfilling to me and my children, helping them become the good people they need to be to live a rewarding life as their time marches on.That is what being on this Earth for almost 41 years has taught me.
No comments:
Post a Comment