Saturday, May 14, 2011

Be Careful what You Wish For...

                                  When I was a little girl, i dreamed of having a little girl of my own. I wanted one so bad, and I wanted to name her Sophie. When I found out I was pregnant in Dec. 1996 I was so happy, sure I was having a little girl. I mean, I couldn't have a BOY, could I? Well my first sonogram burst that bubble and after 6 months of crying, I learned that boys were great too. But I still longed for the pink clothes, the frilly socks, the beautifully decorated nursery...
                                  Fast forward to November of 2000 when I did finally get that daughter. And I named her Sophie just like i used to dream about. Sophie had a lot of red hair and a lot of personality almost immediately. She was 5lbs of spunk from the first scream she let out, and that was BEFORE she was even fully out, if ya know what I mean. My dream finally came true, a daughter! Oh the clothes, the shoes, the hair bows, the frou frou room...yay!!!
                                   Almost 11 years later, and boy do I have a daughter! She is beautiful, smart, headstrong..and makes me insane on a daily basis. Oh the clothes I used to dream about buying, yeah, now I dream about Hollister and Aeropostale going out of business. The shoes, I couldn't wait to put on those tiny feet, they are all over my house. her room has gone from frou frou to a shrine to Justin Beiber or the star of the moment. And her attitude, well that is what spurred on this blog ! I have to remove myself from the room on occassion so she can remain in one little freckled piece. I love her, more than anything but her stubborness and her attitude I can definatelty do without. My boys do not have that stubborn, mean streak. they may go intheir rooms and curse me, but they have the smarts to not do it to my face. Sophie, she is school smart, but can't resist telling me off IN PERSON. That's not so smart.
                                   So, when I complain of this to my husband, he just shakes his head. Occassionally he laughs. I don't know what he always sees so funny in this situation. I mean he doesn't tolerate any back talk, but she rarely does it to him. When she does, she is immediately sorry and cries like a baby. Me, she just glares at for the next 4 hours from her doorway, or whatever room I have banished her to. There is rarely crying involved, she is way too stubborn for that. So, my husband one day, after being asked why he finds her attitude amusing, said "You don't know?" I was not in the mood for guessing games so he gave me the answer right away. "She's just like you! You can't win an argument with you either".
                                 Then I started thinking that is exactly why she gets my goat everytime. she is me. Sure she's smaller, cuter and 30 years younger but pretty much she is exactly like me. But it took me many years to perfect my stubborness and attitude, and she got it right out of the gate! The only thing I know for sure is no one will walk all over her. ever.  And if they try, well , they'll have to get through the both of us, and that will be no easy feat...

No comments:

Post a Comment