Tuesday, May 10, 2011

"Mom we're out of ..."

                           I remember about 10 years ago I was at the grocery store and I saw this woman with 2 carts full of groceries. I thought, surely she must own a restaurant or at the very least a catering business. Who on Earth could buy that much for themselves???
                          well, today I am that woman with 2 carts most of the time. I do not own a restaurant or a catering business. I am a mother to 3 children, one of which is a teenage boy. And the teenage boy has friends. Other teenage boys. They are here at my house. Alot. Don't get me wrong, I love them all. But I think they have tape worms. Now, I can't just blame the teenager for the depletion of groceries in my home. the little girl who weighs about as much as a sack of feathers, eats too. But mostly she drinks. Expensive Sobe waters, Horizon Vanilla Milk, any liquid she can get her hands on. And she is a sharer, because I taught her,way back when , that sharing is caring.(alright Barney taught her, but I reinforced it). So her other feather weight friends enjoy some beverages too.. oh and whatever Little Debbie pastries happen to be in the pantry have no hope of survival if a couple of 10 year old girls get a hold of them. Now, my youngest hasn't yet joined the ranks of the constant grazers in my house. he still eats only when commanded too. He is guilty however of bringing his parade of little friends in for some water after playing hard outside. Water is cheap right? Of course, if it comes out of the TAP!! But Mikey, he only drinks bottled water, my fault, I only drink that too...annoys the crap out of my husband who still takes sips out of the hose on a hot day(yuck).So, therin lies my 2 cart a week grocery situation.
                          As I lug my two carts out to my car, stuff a ton of bags in my trunk, and then have to unload said bags by myself(i try to avoid shopping when kids are home for fear 2 carts will become 3 carts due to all the things we "gotta have")I sometimes complain. Then I stop and think someday I will only be shopping for 2 people .Maybe only a half a cart full of groceries, because old peoples appetite's diminish don't they?? And that makes me sad. Because even though 2 carts looks ridiculous, costs an incredible amount of $$, and takes 45 minutes to unload and put away, I'd rather have that than a half full pantry, an empty house with no children ,or never hearing "hey Mom we need (fill in food/beverage of choice)" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment