Monday, May 30, 2011

This mother thing is kinda messy...

                                I just had a minor freak out motherhood moment. I have these occassionally, as mothers tend to do.I , lately, have been pretty in control. I always tell myself  that my children will only be children for a small moment in time and I should just sit back and enjoy the ride. Sometimes , though, I really need to get off the ride. Like a little while ago. All three little beings pushed my buttons, for very different reasons. Now normally I may not have freaked out. But today, I was a great mom. I took my kids to the mall, bought the teenager a bathing suit and new slides(flip flops with the name Nike or Jordan on them are now called "slides", sort of like my "shorkie" dog used to be a mutt now its designer- yeah whatever) . Bought the 10 year old shorts from tilly's(an overpriced store that all the kids LOVE) and then treated everybody to overpriced coffee drinks. But hey, we're making memories and spending a beautiful Monday together, no price tag could be placed on that, right?,Fast forward 6 hours later, after the shopping, the dinner out with friends, the swimming in the pool with friends(all on a school night, I may add) and I ask them to do something. Like take a shower, comb their hair, or if youre the teenager, come home from your friends house. And all three have nasty replies, question my reasons and even hang up on me from the ridiculously overpriced cell phone I pay for!
                                  Well I freaked out. I told my husband to handle them, and I took my car keys and left. Not the minivan, either. Oh no I wanted no trace of "mommy" ness. I got in my Mercedes sedan that my husband bought for me for being the terrific Mom that I am (well, ok he bought it because he's a car dealer and it was an awesome deal, but I took it as a personal thank you for being wonderful:) and I drove . Out of Colehaven, out of Meadow Pointe, out of...places to go. I drove for 20 minutes. Long enough to receive texts of worry from my daughter , and long enough to make them realize that life with just daddy would mimic a life of puritanism. meaning no shopping sprees, no coffee shops, and no friends constantly in and out of the fully stocked snack house.
                                  upon my return to my house of ingrates I sat in my driveway and pulled myself together. the song "You're So Vain" came on.I always loved it so I stayed in and listened. And I realized, those three kids didn't mean to be mean to be ME. they are egocentric, as all kids tend to be. they wanted to do what THEY wanted on THEIR time. They think this song is about THEM. I got out of the car and realized, I need to begin making sure they know they have to respect me, and other people who show them respect and allow them to be the carefree, fortunate people they are. I was greeted by three very large eyed, sorry children. two of which had showered and cleaned their rooms in the 20 minutes I was gone. I guess my little freak out worked a little bit, which is good. The bad part is I acted like they do, impulsively and self serving.  Looks like all of us have some work to do.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment