Friday, May 27, 2011

It's almost over...

                                   There are officially two days of this school year left. My children and I are beside ourselves with happiness over this fact. For the past month(ok 9 months) we have struggled to awaken in the morning, we have done countless projects, and completed hours and hours of homework. It's time for some "nothing". You know , like someone asks you "what are you doing today" and you can honestly answer "nothing". A few years ago, I used to fill our summer with scheduled activities and expensive camps so the kids wouldn't be bored and, more importantly, drive me nuts. I no longer do that, and here's why.
                                    When I think back to my summers off from school, I remember sleeping in, lazy breakfasts with my family and playing outside from morning until the street lights came on at night. I NEVER went to camp, we couldn't afford it, it really wasnt popular 30 years ago and my mother would never part with me. All those reasons play a factor in why my kids DID do camps for a lot of summers. But now, I realize, this time is flying by! Why should summer vacation FEEL like the school year? You know, with a place you are obligated to be 6 hours of the day. Last summer was the first summer each kid got to pick only one camp. I was worried, thinking they will be bored out of their minds. Well, guess what? They weren't. They looked forward to their one week of camp that THEY chose, not me. And the rest of the summer was spent doing playdates, swimming in our pool, hanging out with friends- you know RELAXING activities.
So, this year I did the same thing. One camp each(well not zach) he's going to Europe thus depleting any camp fund he could have hoped to have! the rest of the time we will spend just doing whatever we feel like doing. And I won't have to hound anyone for a few precious weeks to do their Homework, empty their backpack, or practice their spelling. I am, however, pretty sure by August the activity I will be partaking in the most will involve a daily countdown to the 22nd, and an increase in frozen cocktails..but for now Happy Summer Vacation Everybody:)

No comments:

Post a Comment